Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Christmas Story

Today 12/20/2009

Today as I was driving up to a fast food drive thru, I look over and see a man walking across the parking lot.
He had strips of rags wrapped around his feet, to wear as shoes. he carried a few items in his hand, they were all worn and dirty.
As I was ordering my food, my heart wept.. as my heart broke for this man, I felt this strong urge to tell him "God loves you" I pulled around the building and there he stood with his back toward me,I called out to him "sir" he turns and I see this old face, covered with a long black and gray beard
As I held out a 10 dollar bill, I said " God loves you" he says " yes, I KNOW"... I said " He wants to bless you."
and the man said to me" remember it is better to give than to receive, yes God has blessed me." and then he took my hand and we prayed together.
before I drove off he looks and says to me " have a blessed Journey" I started to cry. because if a man who wears rags wrapped around his feet for shoes
can say " yes, God has blessed me, Who am I to moan about not having the things I want " when I have all I need. Shoes on my feet, clothes on my back, food to eat and a bed to lay my head... Most importantly a God who has given me the gift of my daughters for they are more then I truly deserve. maybe you don't have everything you want, but at least you have shoes!

So this is my Christmas story, it has helped me remember the true meaning.. Today I found Christmas all over again

3 comments:

Barend said...

I think its an amazing story truly i sometimes feel resentment on Xmas for people because its all about what people can get it has no deeper meaning for us anymore most people dont even know that Christ was not born on the 25 its actually a heathen tradition that the early church just took over. But that still does not matter the fact is xmas is about giving to people who are less fortunate then you and bring families together to remember Christ birth.
Tattooed Rev.lol

Dawn said...

A truly beautiful story and a nice reminder to appreciate what we have instead of whining about what we don't. Thank you.

Aaron said...

I don't know why your posts don't show up in my blogger dashboard (just found this post now)... Anyway, it is a beautiful story. You continue to inspire me to a deeper faith lived out through actions in a world that desperately needs to know God. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Aaron
My "Trutheran" Christian Living blog

Post a Comment